Sunday, 25 April 2010

Date and Walnut Loaf

Ok so, I've been on my journey to a healthy-living lifestyle since July 2009. Having lost 100lbs I wanted to reflect upon some of the ways in which my eating has changed. I've found ways of having the little treats I need for lower calories and in a healthier way. Today I'm going to be having a slice of date and walnut loaf cake with a cup of tea. I originally made it for my mum but ended up loving it myself! I don't actually like dates but this "tea-bread" is lovely. It has the same texture and satisfaction as a brownie, but there's no chocolate.


Date & Walnut Loaf
Serves: 12
3/4 cup water
250 g dates
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp margarine
100 g honey
1 egg
200 g wholemeal flour
50 g walnuts
1 tbsp olive oil
1 g vanilla essence

Pour the boiling water over the dates and baking soda - allow to stand.
Beat the margarine olive oil and honey together.
Add the egg and the flour and mix well.
Stir in the dates and the liquid.
Add a few drops of vanilla essence and mix well.
Pour into a prepared loaf tin and cook on a med-low temperature for an hour.
It will rise but then sink again when you remove it.
Slice into 12 pieces, wrap any you wont use immediately in cling film and freeze when cooled.

186 calories per serving, 5.4g F, 0.6g SF, 33.1g C, 20.1g S, 3.5g Fb, 4g P

One of my slightly naughtier recipes, but well worth the slightly higher calories as it is really quite filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment