Sunday, 2 May 2010

Butternut Squash Soup

This soup was one of the strangely significant meals on my healthy lifestyle journey. As I was losing weight I was encouraged to try new things and find tasty healthy foods. I had heard about butternut squash and figured I may as well try it, so me and my mum bought ont and googled it. The easiest recipe to make was soup, so that's what we did! Now, I can't get enough of this amazing squash! If you've never tried butternut squash, you must try this recipe!

Butternut Squash Soup
Serves: 6
400ml water
500g butternut squash
1 onion
1 carrot
1 veggie stock cube
1 clove garlic
1 tsp olive oil
tiny dash of cayenne pepper(optional)

Cut the squash in half length ways and remove the seeds and fleshy bit. Then bake in the oven for 40 mins.
Once baked and cooled, just peel the skin off, it should come off no problem. Make sure you don't waste any fluids that have accumulated in the squash, pour them into the sauce pan.
Fry the onion and garlic in the oil and any fluids from the squash until softened.
Add the Stock and water as well as the chopped carrot.
Cook for 20 mins and then chop the squash and add this. Also add the cayenne pepper at this point if you dare, but be careful you only need a tiny amount to make a huge difference.
Cook for 10 mins more then remove from heat and blitz.

80 calories per serving, 1.8g F, 0.2g SF, 16.0g C, 3.7g S, 2.8g Fb, 1.8g P

No comments:

Post a Comment