Monday, 24 May 2010

Spicy Polenta

I've fancied making this for a while now, having read a lot about it. I had tried the ready made variety and found it to be entirely flavourless, but nothing tastes as good as home made food, so I thought I'd give it a try! The results were good, I didn't expect to like it but it made a delicious side dish, and a great portion size for low calories.

Spicy Polenta
Serves: 3
1/3 cup cornmeal  
1 1/3 cup water  
1 cube vegetable stock
1/2 tsp cumin  
3 g garam masala
1 g coriander

Mix the cornmeal/polenta with a little of the water until it is all stirred in, and then slowly dilute until you have used up 2/3 cup water. Then boil the remaining water witht he stock cube until the stock cube dissolves.
Lower the heat and slowly stir in the cornmeal blend. Add in the cumin, garam masala and corriander and continue stirring, allowing the mixture to thicken to a nice gloopy consistency. This should only take about 5 minutes, depending on how coarse your polenta is.
Transfer the mixture to a cake tin, allow to cool and then leave it in the fridge for a few hours.
When it is cooled it should be sliceable, divide into servings. This should keep in the fridge for a few days. 


54 calories per serving, 0.7g F, 0.1g SF, 11.0g C, 0.1g S, 1g Fb, 1.3g P

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog sweetie! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good. I found your blog by chance and had intended to say hello and then move on. I, instead, started reading your earlier posts and stayed much longer that I planned. I like your recipes and the tone of your blog. I'm trying to cut back on the amount of meat I eat and this is a great place to visit for new ideas. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete