Tuesday, 21 September 2010

Forest Mushroom Sauce


So, I've been embracing Sweden once more! Something I've always considered to be a part of Swedish culture is the wonderful way in which they make use of allemansrätten or "everyman's right" which states that "Alla skall ha tillgång till naturen enligt allemansrätten".
Basically everybody has access to nature. This includes the wonderful tasties that grow in nature such as fruit and mushrooms. I had never been mushroom foraging in Sweden until the other day. We went looking for Chantarelles and Funnel Chantarelles.
It was so much fun. I actually had muscle ache the next day from squatting down so much, I had no idea I was even getting exercise. Double bonus - exercise and delicious mushrooms!
Honestly I've never had such tasty mushrooms in my life! I decided to try and make my own version of M's favourite sauce. I didn't want to try and make it exactly the same because nobody - not even your girlfriend - can beat your mum's cooking. The sauce turned out yummy, and although it's a bit luxurious I promise it is totally worth it!

Forest Mushroom Sauce
Serves: 4

200 g mushrooms, whatever you forage (or discover in the supermarket!)
1 small onion
3 tsp becel light (35 cal serving margarine)
150 g creme fraiche
300 ml milk
1 cube vegetable stock
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tbsp white wine
3 tsp becel light (35 cal serving margarine)
pinch of salt and pepper

Chop the mushrooms and finely chop the onions.
Fry them off in a good quality sauce pan using the margarine until they have softened.
Once they soften add the wine and wait until it is absorbed.
Add the flour and mix with the buttery mushrooms.
Add the milk and bring to the boil, stirring well constantly.
Add the stock cube.
Once the cube is disolved add the soy sauce and season.
Boil for 20 minutes.

166 calories per serving, 6.1g F, 0.1g SF, 10.4g C, 5.6g S, 0.9 Fb, 5.8g P

No comments:

Post a Comment