Sunday, 3 October 2010

Spiced Butternut Squash Muffins

So, I love butternut squash. M is not such a fan and it is quite expensive so we don't have it too often. We had some the other day so I made some soup and then roasted some with a little butter and fresh thyme. Both delicious, of course! But then, what to do with the rest? Why not try something new. You may have noticed I've been into muffins recently... well nothing has changed! Therefore we tried these, and the result... well I ate 2 straight off the bat!



Spiced Butternut Squash Muffins
Serves: 12


250g butternut squash, peeled deseeded and cubed
185g  flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
100g sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cardamom, freshly crushed
1/4 tsp paprika
185ml milk
1 egg
15g margarine

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees, while its warming up, pop the squash in on some baking paper and allow it to bake for 30 minutes.
In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and spices.
In a smaller bowl, whisk together the egg and milk.
Put the margarine into a magic bullet/good processor and add the squash once it's done baking. Puree the butter and buttnerut squash.
Add the puree to the egg and milk and whisk well.
Carefully fold the wet ingredients into the dry until just integrated. Careful not to over stir.
Divide the mixture into 12 muffin cases.
Bake for 18-20 minutes in the middle of the oven.

122 calories per serving, 1.8g F, 0.5g SF, 24.1g C, 9.6g S, 1.0 Fb, 2.8g P

4 comments:

  1. Wow they look amazing!
    Do you think they will worth with pumpkin!? Since it's halloween this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that would totally work! I actually made these thinking of pumpkin pie, but I didn't have any pumpkin! Let me know how it works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never really been a fan of squash by itself but this looks great! I'll have to try these sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job! Just what I was looking for. Tried it just now and they came out well. Mine are a little chewy (I'm in the U.S. so tried converting g's to cups and tablespoons) but pleasantly surprised overall. How could you go wrong with cardamom!? Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete